Business Move Planner II
Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage recognizes that an office move can disrupt business operations and is pleased to offer the following Moving Instructions Guide that can help guide employees through the process efficiently.
- It should be the responsibility of each department or section head to have the staff follow these instructions in order to minimize loss of time in preparing for the move.
- Each employee should be responsible for his or her own preliminary packing for the move. To assist in this task, detailed instructions for packing and marking follow.
- Unless otherwise specified, packing and unpacking will be performed by your personnel.
- It is important that only personnel involved directly with the move be present during the course of the actual move.
- One-piece recyclable polystyrene bins and/or one-piece self-locking cardboard moving cartons will be available for packing. Be sure to receive training on the proper methods for packing and stacking bins or for assembling the cardboard moving cartons. Each has advantages in specific situations but for ease of packing and speed of moving, the bins are the most desirable. Please see instructions below for further information regarding assembly and packing.
- All packing should be completed prior to the actual start of the move.
- DESKS - It is necessary to empty desks. Paper clips, pencils and other loose items should be sealed in envelopes. Current working papers, letter trays, books and items on top of the desk should be packed in a carton. Protect all glass receptacles with paper or other material in the carton.
- FILING CABINETS/UPRIGHT - These cabinets will generally be moved with contents intact. Tighten the internal draw to hold contents in place. Lock the cabinet if possible. If not possible, secure each drawer with filament tape. If locked, remove the key and pack in a safe place. Note: If the file has a punch-in lock and you do not have the key, wrap tape around the lock to avoid accidental locking.
- FILING CABINETS/LATERAL - These cabinets cannot be moved with the contents intact. Pack all of the contents in cartons, and secure the drawers by locking or with tape as above.
- BOOKCASES - All contents should be packed in cartons. After packing, remove the shelves and tape together. Remove the shelf pins and pack in an envelope.
- SUPPLY OR STORAGE CABINETS - All contents should be packed in cartons. Lock/tape the cabinet doors.
- COAT RACKS OR LOCKERS - Pack all contents, including hangers.
- SMALLER OFFICE MACHINES, (scanners, printers, etc.) DO NOT PACK THESE MACHINES. Leave the machine on top of the desk or stand. Be sure the equipment has been serviced and all components disconnected. Small items, such as power cords should be packed in zip lock bags or cartons.
- PICTURES, MAPS AND BULLETIN BOARDS - These items, if secured to the wall, should be removed. Tag each piece and leave against the wall. The mover will handle. Small pictures, etc., should be consolidated so as to fill a carton. Newspaper should be stuffed in empty spaces between the pictures.
- Certain types of equipment such as copiers or computer equipment require special servicing by the company trained personnel. These arrangements should be made directly with the vendor of each particular machine prior to the move date. Personal Computers should be backed-up and separate components should be disconnected prior to moving. Remove loose wires and pack in box.
- If special services requiring electricians, plumbers or machinists are needed to disconnect equipment, please notify your supervisor so that proper arrangements may be made. Internal servicing may be required and if not followed may void service warranties.
- Copying, printing or reproducing machines containing liquid or fluid must be drained.
- Hansen Bros. cannot be held accountable for resultant damage if the above criteria are not met. LIVING OR ARTIFICIAL PLANTS - Hansen Bros. can move these but will not be responsible if the plant is damaged. Employees should arrange to handle these items.
All cabinets should be locked prior to and during the move. If security regulations require escorts, arrangements should be made with the Hansen Bros. Certified Moving Consultant.
Hansen Bros. will not be responsible for the transportation of these items. Employees should arrange to move their own.
Tagging and Marking Instructions
- Each and every item to be moved must be tagged or marked. Keep in mind that certain items consist of several different sections, such as detachable bookcase units. Each of these sections must be tagged.
- Specific and detailed code assignments for floor, room number, etc. can be obtained from your move coordinator. Be sure you fill in correct information on each tag.
- Certain furniture and equipment may need dismantling for moving (L-units or conference tables). Be sure to tag each piece with the same tag information.
- LOCATION OF FURNITURE IN NEW OFFICE - On a placard provided by our project manager or on a blank sheet of paper, draw an arrangement of furniture in your new office. Each item should be identified and should be drawn close to scale. Be sure to draw in the location of the door or window. Always place the door at the bottom of the drawing. Give to your move coordinator prior to the move.
- LOCATION OF TAGS - A uniform marking system is necessary and will greatly assist the movers in locating the furniture and equipment in the new office. Your Project Manager will help design a workable, efficient system.
Each label's color identifies a piece as going to a particular floor. On that floor, it will go to the room number specified. On the door to each room should be a floor plan depicting placement in the room for all identified pieces. Dividing the building into color-coded floors helps the move proceed more quickly and eliminates backup at elevators; identifying rooms and furniture pieces helps get things placed exactly where you want them.
Theft or Loss
Report missing items immediately. In most instances, these items are discovered within a short period of time and are found to have been misplaced due to the lack of, or improper tagging.
Hansen Bros. cannot accept liability for missing items unless such items are considered missing while they are in our complete and total control, or if it can be proven that there was gross negligence on the part of our personnel. We provide security insofar as the uniformed identification of our crews and the sealing of each truck as it is loaded. It is recommended that a customer's representative record the number of the randomly numbered seal both as it is affixed and prior to its removal.
Most people are honest, but given the opportunity, even the most honest movers, cleaning people, telephone installers, or even your own personnel, can be tempted to steal. Do not give anyone the opportunity.
- Bins will be delivered in stacks for easy handling. Select one crate and place it on the accompanying dolly. Roll the dolly close to the item you plan to pack.
- Load as much or as little as you wish while allowing the interlocking lid enough space to close completely. Do not overfill. Fragile items will be safe within the sturdy container but be sure to place padding inside between items to avoid damage.
- Upon loading and closing the first crate, label it on the designated end (color--coded labels will be provided by Hansen Bros.) and place a second, empty crate on top of the first. Be sure to align the bins so the labels will all face the same direction. Continue packing as before, the interlocking bins will stay safely in place. You may repeat this procedure with as many as four bins per dolly, but if you complete packing one area before reaching the four crate limit, simply roll the dolly to a new area and continue packing.
- Lids are designed to interlock and maintain the integrity of their contents, but for added security ask your Hansen Bros. Certified Moving Consultant for randomly numbered security seals.
- When unpacking simply reverse the process and remove and stack each empty crate as you go. Movers will collect the empty bins generally within a day or two of the move so be sure to unpack quickly.
- Cartons are also available for purchase.
If you have any other questions about planning or packing for your move, please speak with your Hansen Bros. Certified Moving Consultant.