Checklist for Moving Overseas
Are you searching for a checklist for moving overseas? Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage is here to help!
To help ensure that nothing has been overlooked, first-timers and veterans alike should prepare a timetable and checklist for moving overseas. To get you started, Hansen Bros. has created a comprehensive timetable that will go a long way toward relieving some of your anxiety.
Our checklist for moving overseas spans an 8-week period, and outlines when and how to pack up your home. Here are some steps that would be easy to overlook:
Great job as always - thank you the team was Antonio, Alex and Mabhena - they were all super; very courteous, patient with my dog, and made the move a smooth one. We did find that a table from a previous move was broken, inside my storage unit. Likely from when it was delivered some time ago. Very disappointing, but they did not do the damage themselves and were apologetic for the upset. — Heather O., 8/16/2017See What 2,565 Customers are Saying
- Review the Customs Information for the country that you are moving to. Be sure to check whether any permits are required for residency, vehicles or firearms, etc.
- Determine overseas electrical requirements and what appliances you will ship or purchase.
- Check if there are restrictions or limitations on importing certain appliances to the destination country. Electrical services and broadcasting systems varies in different countries. Confirm if your TV will be usable in your new country.
- Check with the consular representative of the country to which you are moving about required inoculations. The U.S. Public Health Services can advise you about optional immunizations.
- Have your W-2s and other tax forms forwarded, check and clear any unpaid tax assessments.
- Obtain any appraisal for high value items in your shipment. Prepare the valued inventory. Separate inventories are necessary for air and sea shipments.
- Read the moving inventory carefully before you sign it. Keep a copy of it, along with all other related papers, in a safe location.
- Upon arrival in a new country, check in with your Embassy as soon as possible. The embassy can be of real help in answering questions and guiding you as to local registration and any other official procedures.
In addition to overseas moving advice like the above, Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage also offers resources including a glossary of moving terms, FAQs, moving with pets, and moving with children, and checklists for local, interstate, commercial and retirement living moving.
At Hansen Bros., our international moving services begin with a complete no obligation survey to determine what you will be moving, the services you would like performed and any special needs. Our Relocation Consultants will not only plan every detail of your move, but will also be your single point of contact throughout your journey across the globe, ensuring your satisfaction along the way.
We welcome the opportunity to assist you with creating your own checklist for moving overseas and all of your international moving needs. Please call us at 1-888-300-7222 or use our convenient contact form.