Checklist for Moving Overseas
Are you searching for a checklist for moving overseas? Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage is here to help!
To help ensure that nothing has been overlooked, first-timers and veterans alike should prepare a timetable and checklist for moving overseas. To get you started, Hansen Bros. has created a comprehensive timetable that will go a long way toward relieving some of your anxiety.
Our checklist for moving overseas spans an 8-week period and outlines when and how to pack up your home. Here are some steps that would be easy to overlook:
This is the 3rd time I've worked with Hansen, and it's always been such a positive and easy experience. From my rep (Mike), to the invoicing (we had a lot of unique aspects to this job for billing, warehouse, etc.), to the warehouse where our things we're being held, to the day of the move. Just wonderful! For this move, Mike and his crew were very professional, quick and just a great group of men. And Lee, the installer, quick and thorough.. I would have spent hours trying to figure it out! I will be using Hansen Bros. for all future moves, business and maybe even personal!
-Jihanna M., October 9, 2014See What 3855 Customers are Saying
- Review the Customs Information for the country that you are moving to. Be sure to check whether any permits are required for residency, vehicles or firearms, etc.
- Determine overseas electrical requirements and what appliances you will ship or purchase.
- Check if there are restrictions or limitations on importing certain appliances to the destination country. Electrical services and broadcasting systems vary in different countries. Confirm if your TV will be usable in your new country.
- Check with the consular representative of the country to which you are moving about required inoculations. The U.S. Public Health Services can advise you about optional immunizations.
- Have your W-2s and other tax forms forwarded, check and clear any unpaid tax assessments.
- Obtain any appraisal for high-value items in your shipment. Prepare the valued inventory. Separate inventories are necessary for air and sea shipments.
- Read the moving inventory carefully before you sign it. Keep a copy of it, along with all other related papers, in a safe location.
- Upon arrival in a new country, check in with your Embassy as soon as possible. The embassy can be of real help in answering questions and guiding you as to local registration and any other official procedures.
In addition to overseas moving advice like the above, Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage also offers resources including a glossary of moving terms, FAQs, moving with pets, and moving with children, and checklists for local, interstate, commercial and retirement living moving.
At Hansen Bros., our international moving services begin with a complete no obligation survey to determine what you will be moving, the services you would like performed and any special needs. Our Relocation Consultants will not only plan every detail of your move, but will also be your single point of contact throughout your journey across the globe, ensuring your satisfaction along the way.
We welcome the opportunity to assist you with creating your own checklist for moving overseas and all of your international moving needs. Please call us at 1-888-300-7222 or use our convenient free moving estimate form.