MOHAI Move Update
Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage is pleased to have the opportunity to provide our community and customers with updates on the progress of the MOHAI move to South Lake Union. Following is the latest update for the week of July 16, 2012.
Week of July 16, 2012 - History Moving History
Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage (founded in 1890), Foss Maritime (founded in 1889), and Nelson Trucking (founded in 1900) partnered together today (7/19/12) to bring three historic outdoor artifacts to their new home at the new Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI). These artifacts include the historic Carroll’s Clock, the 1890 Seattle Fire Bell, and the Millstone.
Carroll's Clock (Click image for larger view)
The 15-foot, landmark clock was built in 1913 and installed on Fourth Avenue and Pike Street, in front of Carroll’s Jewelers in 1915. Owner Herbert Carroll would wind the clock himself every Monday morning. When the store went out of business, the Carroll’s donated the clock to MOHAI, and it was installed there in August 2008. The clock was built by Joseph Mayer, a Seattle jeweler who made many of the clocks that were on Seattle streets. The clocks are slowly disappearing. Check out the coverage on KPLU 88.5 NPR.
1890 Seattle Fire Dept. Bell (Click image for larger view)
Josiah Collins, Chief of the volunteer fire department, bought the bell in 1890 to replace the volunteer fire department bell that was damaged in the Great Seattle fire in 1889. It originally hung at Seattle Engine House No. 1 at 7th and Columbia, Seattle’s first professional fire station. The fire station lasted until the early 1960s when it was demolished to make way for Interstate 5.
The bell was made at Gardiner C. Campbell & Sons Centennial Bell and Iron Works in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and weighs 5400 pounds, including striker equipment. Campbell & Sons made similar bells for communities around the United States. As communication techniques advanced, it lost its purpose as a fire bell and was hung in a rustic tower at Carkeek Park from 1919-1926. It was stored in the Roosevelt Fire Station and came to MOHAI in time for the museum’s grand opening in 1952. It was rededicated June 6, 2002. Click Here For a Video!
The Millstone (Click image for larger view)
H.L. Pittock purchased close to 3,000 acres in the La Camas basin on the north bank of the Columbia River with the purpose of building a paper mill to supply Pittock's "Oregonian" newspaper. This became the Columbia River Paper Company. The mill began work in 1885 and was the first western mill to make paper from wood fibers. This stone was used to grind wood into pulp. The millstone is 2 ft. thick, about 100 years old, and over one ton.
To access our archive of past updates, please click here.